Thursday, October 30, 2003

w w w . p r o s p e c t - m a g a z i n e . c o . u k :: Interview with dead Marx

w w w . p r o s p e c t - m a g a z i n e . c o . u k: "Karl Marx

October 2003

Marx will not take the blame for communism and the gulag. But he enjoys his continuing influence in the academy

Donald Sassoon: Well, Dr Marx, you are all washed up, aren't you? Fifteen years ago your theories ruled half the world. Now what's left? Cuba? North Korea?

Karl Marx: My 'theories'-as you put it-never 'ruled.' I had followers I neither chose nor sought, and for whom I have no more responsibility than Jesus had for Torquemada or Muhammad for Osama bin Laden. Self-appointed followers are the price of success. Most of my contemporaries would love to be as washed up as you think I am. I wrote that the point was not to explain the world, but to change "

Curious fake interview.

No comments: