Friday, August 29, 2003

How to Pay for the War in Iraq (a humble suggestion)

O.k. I don't think there is a question about it. It's going to cost a freakin' assload of cash to bring Iraq up to speed.

This is a wholly worthwhile goal, and will benefit the world in many ways. As an American, I fell a certain responsibility for what has taken place so far.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and I think I've got a solution, or at least a suggestion on how we can make an improvement in the current situation.

End the War of Drugs. Let's call a Truce. A Ceasefire. We have a greater terror facing our country than an infestation of weeds.

Over the last ... [wah looks for a link...finds one and starts laughing] ... X number of years, Y amount of money has been spent fighting this War on Drugs. Don't believe me? Click here, and keeping reading and clicking. There is a better way, a more important war, to spend this money on.

It's a simple suggestion.

So what the hell can you do? Make it an issue. A humble suggestion. Infiltrate every single campagin for every single candidate of every single affiliation. Build consensus. On the DL.

The money is right there. And there's more where that came from.

Freedom isn't free. I understand that. It's one of those statements that be taken literally, or figuratively. In this case, and since I really like to do so, I'm going to take it literally and do something.

For every $100 I spend on an over-priced, genetically engineered and professionally cultivated plant that comes into my possession, I'm gonna throw $50 at a good charity fighting the new war in Iraq. Or at least the part that they can. I've put $150 on it so far, and if you don't believe me, say say, and I'll post the email, or a scan of a letter.

Really, I know it's not that much, no big deal. But that's only one person. Those are only two zeros. Billions of dollars are being wasted on a war that has left our country with the highest gross and per capita prison population in the world.

Why would I do that, and make my lifestyle more expensive? Who knows (;-)>? But I will. And all I ask is that you think about it. Look around this world of ours and notice that other people have come up with other solutions to the 'drug problem'. Ideas that don't always go through a prison. Ones that don't cost quite so much.

We need to fix our mistakes and turn them into successes, and here's an opportunity to strike two birds with one stone.

,err.

Anyway. Pass the idea along, the left, and back around to the right. We can pay for the War in Iraq, by de-funding a good part of the War on Drugs, or at least focus their attention on a more important problem.

We have to find a way to pay for this War, we are in. And I'd much rather we pay for extra cops with hazard pay in Iraq than in our own back yard, raiding the head shops of cultural icons.

There's a lot more to this argument, but I'll leave it at that for now. Feel free to comment (on the other site, when it comes back up).

And make sure to vote.

No comments: