Saturday, March 13, 2004

Contra Costa & Alameda News Sports, Jobs, Cars, and Real Estate

Contra Costa & Alameda News Sports, Jobs, Cars, and Real Estate: "The crucifixion of Jesus has become a hot topic in the hallways of East Bay high schools, thanks to Mel Gibson's blockbuster film 'The Passion of the Christ.'

Despite its R rating and super-gory special effects, teenagers are flocking to see the movie. The buzz has gotten so strong that even nonreligious teens are intrigued.

'I want to see it,' said Erin Duncan, a junior at Clayton Valley High School. 'I've heard that everyone cries during it, and the whole room is silent.'"

And so many of them will be.

Except for those that don't get it.

"Although some of his friends were deeply moved by the film, "I felt sort of the opposite," said Jack, who describes himself as "a fairly liberal Catholic."

"I walked out of the theater feeling pretty ambivalent about the whole thing," he said. "Even spiritually -- my favorite movie is 'The Royal Tenenbaums,' and I get more out of that spiritually."

After all, he asks, "What does that say about my faith if I need to see a man in red makeup to really believe in Christ?"

Heck of a question really. Having 'faith' in Christ's suffering is no longer necessary for any Christian that endorses the film as accurate.

No comments: